Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky stated a particular tribunal ought to be created to punish Russia throughout his recorded speech to the United Nations Common Meeting on Wednesday.
Driving the information: Russia ought to face punishment for “the crime of aggression” and for violations of territorial integrity till the internationally acknowledged borders of Ukraine are restored, he stated.
- Zelensky added that the punishment ought to proceed till the aggression stops and “till the damages and losses for the conflict are totally compensated.”
- One technique of punishment, he stated, is depriving Russia of its veto proper within the UN Safety Council.
- He additionally inspired different international locations to place a worth cap on Russian oil and fuel.
The large image: The remarks come after Putin ramped up the conflict by ordering a “partial mobilization” of Russians with navy expertise and making a veiled menace to make use of nuclear weapons.
What he is saying: “Russia ought to pay for this conflict with its belongings,” the Ukrainian president stated.
- “It is a conflict for all times. That’s the reason we want protection assist weapons, navy gear and shelf offensive weapons,” he added in a plea for continued assist and monetary support.
Zoom out: President Biden additionally condemned Russia’s invasion of Ukraine throughout his deal with on the UN on Wednesday, saying it is “about extinguishing Ukraine’s proper to exist as a state — plain and easy.”
- “Russia has shamefully violated the core tenets of the United Nations Constitution,” Biden stated. “Ukraine has the identical rights that belong to each sovereign nation. We are going to stand in solidarity with Ukraine. We are going to stand in solidarity in opposition to Russian aggression.”
Our thought bubble through Axios’ Dave Lawler: Many world leaders who spoke earlier than Zelensky supplied impartial requires dialogue between the events. However from Zelensky’s perspective, it’s insupportable that Ukraine and Russia one way or the other be considered as equally culpable.
- He’s urgent the worldwide neighborhood to deal with Russia not simply as one celebration to a conflict however as an invader that have to be punished for its crimes.