The U.S. Treasury Division on Thursday introduced sanctions in opposition to Iran’s morality police over the demise of a lady in custody and violence in opposition to protesters.
Driving the information: Mahsa Amini, 22, died final week after being arrested by the morality police for allegedly violating a spiritual regulation requiring girls to put on a scarf. Protests over her demise have since erupted in dozens of cities.
- Police claimed Amini was not mistreated and that she died of a coronary heart assault. Her father, Amjad Amini, informed BBC Persia that she had no preexisting circumstances and was solely allowed to view a part of her physique after her demise.
- Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi has ordered an investigation into Amini’s demise.
What they’re saying: “Mahsa Amini was a brave girl whose demise in Morality Police custody was yet one more act of brutality by the Iranian regime’s safety forces in opposition to its personal folks,” Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen stated in an announcement.
- “We condemn this unconscionable act within the strongest phrases and name on the Iranian authorities to finish its violence in opposition to girls and its ongoing violent crackdown on free expression and meeting,” Yellen added.
- President Biden on Wednesday stated the U.S. stands “with the courageous residents and the courageous girls of Iran, who proper now are demonstrating to safe their fundamental rights.”
- Iranian officers have accused the U.S. and European international locations of meddling in Iran’s inner affairs.
The massive image: Treasury additionally introduced sanctions in opposition to seven senior leaders of Iran’s safety organizations who the U.S. stated “routinely make use of violence to suppress peaceable protesters and members of Iranian civil society, political dissidents, girls’s rights activists, and members of the Iranian Baha’i group.”
- Hengaw, a Kurdish human rights group, reported Wednesday that seven protesters have been killed and a whole bunch of others injured because the demonstrations started final Friday. A whole lot have additionally been arrested, the group stated.
- Iranian officers have denied studies that protesters have been killed by safety forces, per Reuters. Some officers have claimed with out proof that “international brokers” are fueling the unrest, in accordance with the New York Instances.
Go deeper: Web restricted in Iran as anti-government protests intensify