Former Vice President Mike Pence visits “Fox & Associates” at Fox Information Channel studios in New York. Picture: John Lamparski/Getty Photographs
The invention of categorised paperwork at former VP Mike Pence’s Indiana house is forcing the Home Oversight Committee to decide on between lower than supreme choices.
Why it issues: Home Oversight Chair James Comer (R-Ky.) can both examine a fellow Republican with the identical vigor that he is probing President Biden for categorised paperwork, or downplay what may very well be an identical scenario with Pence.
Comer (R-Ky.) admonished Biden within the quick aftermath of the invention of the primary batch of paperwork on the Penn Biden Middle, demanding that the Justice Division and Nationwide Archives deal with Biden with the identical scrutiny as former President Trump.
- He famous that Biden “has apparently inappropriately maintained categorised paperwork in an insecure setting for a number of years,” earlier than launching an oversight investigation on the matter the very subsequent day.
Comer on Tuesday acknowledged that Pence had reached out and absolutely agreed to cooperate with congressional oversight.
- Comer characterised Pence’s “transparency” as standing “in stark distinction” to Biden White Home workers who he accused of “withholding info.”
- Comer instructed CNN earlier this month he won’t examine Trump over his dealing with of categorised paperwork.
The massive image: Comer is making an attempt to make sure his committee, which not too long ago added far-right members like Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) and Scott Perry (R-Pa.), maintains its credibility.
Between the strains: Aaron Cutler, head of the congressional investigations apply at Hogan Lovells, instructed Axios in a cellphone name he expects Republicans to zoom in on the next variations between the Biden and Trump circumstances:
- “President Trump is a one-term public workplace holder, however Biden, by the point he left the vice presidency, had spent 40 years in public workplace and was tremendous skilled in nationwide safety.”
- “And Biden’s paperwork weren’t simply from one workplace he held; they had been papers when he was a senator and Vice President.”
What they’re saying: Trump ran to Pence’s protection through his social media platform Reality Social, writing: “Mike Pence is an harmless man. He by no means did something knowingly dishonest in his life. Depart him alone!!!”