Austrian bike owner Verena Eberhardt — pictured racing at a velodrome in 2018 — is on the Miami Nights crew of the Nationwide Biking League. Picture: Dan Istitene/Getty Pictures
A brand new skilled biking league is making an attempt to revolutionize the game with co-ed groups and closed-circuit course races via main cities, beginning in Miami Seaside.
What’s occurring: The Nationwide Biking League introduced on Tuesday its inaugural race will happen in Miami Seaside on April 8, adopted by races later this spring and fall in Atlanta, Denver and Washington, D.C.
Why it issues: The NCL — which touts itself as the primary skilled sports activities league that’s majority women- and minority-owned — will check out a brand new idea that goals to worth and pay women and men equally, Forbes studies.
The way it works: “Moderately than the normal ‘first one to cross the end line wins’ strategy, our scoring system relies on factors, so every lap counts, and everybody can rating,” the NCL web site explains.
- Men and women compete on the identical course, however individually at completely different occasions. On the finish, their scores are mixed as one crew.
- All NCL athletes are paid salaries along with their winnings at races.
Particulars: Races can be criterium-style (aka “crit races”), which means they’re loops, with a number of turns, via metropolis streets — extra Method 1 than Tour de France.
- Groups of six will do 30 laps round a closed 1- to 2-kilometer course at 30-45 mph.
- Ten groups will compete to win the 2023 NCL Cup, which has a $1 million prize.
Zoom in: Our crew, the Miami Nights, is made up of eight cyclists from throughout the globe, and several other Olympians.
What they’re saying: The race helps Miami Seaside Mayor Dan Gelber’s imaginative and prescient for reworking town’s Artwork Deco District — identified for wild partying — with actions that concentrate on train and wellness.
- “As we proceed to rework the Artwork Deco District with world class programming, I am assured this fast-paced sport will resonate with our vibrant biking neighborhood and proceed the progress we now have made to make Miami Seaside extra livable and bikeable,” Gelber mentioned in an announcement.
What’s subsequent: The league goals to develop to eight extra cities in 2024.