The Jan. 6 choose committee is eyeing an October date for a public listening to that was postponed as a result of Hurricane Ian, members of the panel mentioned Wednesday.
Why it issues: The listening to, which was initially scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, is about to be the panel’s final and is anticipated to fill in particulars concerning the findings they’ve already put out.
Driving the information: Committee Chair Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) instructed reporters on the Capitol that the panel’s members have “not set a date” but, however that they are assembly this week to resolve.
- Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.) mentioned the panel is a date “within the subsequent couple weeks,” and that it’ll “actually” be earlier than the Nov. 8 election. “I feel it is bought to be in October,” he mentioned.
- Raskin mentioned the panel is “canvassing everybody for his or her schedules. Journey, CODELs and all that.”
- Rep. Pete Aguilar (D-Calif.) additionally mentioned the listening to will occur earlier than election day, telling Axios: “It would occur quickly.”
What they’re saying: The “solely issue” committee members are contemplating, mentioned Aguilar, is “all 9 members being current. … All members are going to play a task on this listening to, and we wish to defend that.”
- That doubtless guidelines out a listening to in September, with Rep. Stephanie Murphy’s (D-Fla.) house state being battered by the hurricane.
- It additionally poses challenges with holding a listening to too near election day, notably with Rep. Elaine Luria (D-Va.) campaigning in a swing district.
- “There’s another obligations that members have for subsequent month that we wish to defend as effectively,” Aguilar acknowledged.
Bear in mind: The primary week in October can also be a vacation week, with Yom Kippur on Tuesday and Wednesday, additional complicating the calendar.
What we’re watching: Raskin mentioned the listening to will “fill in some particulars that underscore the essential components of the narrative that we have recounted earlier than. There are undoubtedly some important particulars which might be being added.”
- “I used to be up the whole night time earlier than the hurricane started to bear down,” Raskin a. “We had been all set to go, after which the hurricane laid waste to one of the best laid plans.”