Hurricane Ian is barreling towards Florida’s west coast, bringing with it the specter of “catastrophic” winds and storm surge because it verges on changing into a Class 5 storm.
The massive image: Solely 4 hurricanes on file have made landfall within the U.S. with most sustained winds of better than 155 mph, per Philip Klotzbach, a researcher at Colorado State College.
- In whole, 14 Class 4 or 5 hurricanes have made landfall in Florida since 1851, the earliest information accessible by the Nationwide Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, based on Klotzbach.
- If Hurricane Ian makes landfall at its present most wind depth, it will grow to be the fifth-strongest hurricane to strike the U.S. mainland on file, per Steve Bowen, the chief science officer at Gallagher Re.
- Here is a have a look at a number of the strongest storms to hit Florida over the past 20 years and their affect.
Hurricane Andrew, 1992
- Hurricane Andrew is the “strongest and most devastating hurricane on file to hit southern Florida,” per the Nationwide Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and had most sustained winds of 165 mph.
- Hurricane Andrew, one in all 4 hurricanes to make landfall within the U.S. as a Class 5 since 1900, hit Miami-Dade County and precipitated an estimated $26 billion in harm within the nation, per NOAA.
- The storm instantly precipitated 23 deaths within the U.S.
Hurricane Charley, 2004
- Hurricane Charley made landfall on the southwest coast of Florida, close to Cayo Costa, an island off of Florida’s Gulf Coast, as a Class 4 storm, per Climate.gov.
- Hurricane Charley was one in all 4 hurricanes in simply six weeks throughout the 2004 hurricane season, per NOAA.
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) on Tuesday referenced Hurricane Charley in issuing a warning for Hurricane Ian, saying: “I do know there are of us in southwest Florida who keep in mind Hurricane Charley was projected to make a direct affect into Tampa Bay after which it turned and went into southwest Florida.”
- “I might simply say, the observe might find yourself doing one thing related however it is a a lot totally different storm,” he stated.
Hurricane Wilma, 2005
- Hurricane Wilma hit South Florida as a Class 3 hurricane with wind gusts of as much as 120 mph, per the Nationwide Climate Service.
- 22 deaths had been attributed to Wilma, together with 5 in Florida and harm in southern Florida value an estimated $16.8 billion, per NOAA.
Hurricane Irma, 2017
- Hurricane Irma made landfall within the Florida Keys as a Class 4 hurricane with wind gusts of 130 miles per hour and produced tornadoes, knocking out energy for thousands and thousands of shoppers within the state.
- In Florida, 7 folks died instantly from the storm and the harm totaled roughly $50 billion, per the Nationwide Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Hurricane Michael, 2018
- Hurricane Michael, which made landfall in Mexico Seashore, Florida, was initially labeled as a Class 4 storm in 2018 earlier than NOAA upgraded the storm to Class 5 after a post-storm evaluation months later.
- The storm precipitated extreme harm within the Florida Panhandle. Eight direct fatalities had been reported, together with seven in Florida, Reuters notes.
Go deeper… Hurricane Ian strengthens to Class 3 because it attracts a bead on Tampa Bay