Home Republicans have withdrawn their promoting for Ohio Republican J.R. Majewski, a MAGA-aligned candidate who was on the Capitol throughout the Jan. 6 riots, Axios has discovered.
What’s taking place: The Nationwide Republican Congressional Committee withdrew about $1 million in advert reservations for the district, in line with a GOP supply aware of its technique, all however surrendering the seat to Democratic Rep. Marcy Kaptur.
Why it issues: Kaptur’s redrawn district — which backed Trump by three factors in 2020 — as soon as regarded like a simple pickup for Home Republicans. The GOP is now vulnerable to squandering one other race as a result of Republican major voters nominated an excessive candidate.
Particulars: Majewski, an Air Drive veteran, has been beneath fireplace for sympathizing with the QAnon conspiracy principle motion and saying that each state that backed Trump in 2020 ought to secede from america.
- The AP reported this week that Majewski misrepresented his army service, inaccurately claiming he was deployed to Afghanistan after the 9/11 assaults. In actuality, he spent six months loading planes at an air base in Qatar.
- The AP wrote: “His post-military profession has been outlined by exaggerations, conspiracy theories, speak of violent motion in opposition to the U.S. authorities and occasional monetary duress.”
Zoom in: Democrats have been relentlessly hammering Majewski on tv over his extremist views. “He broke by means of police barricades on the Capitol, then blamed police for the riot. Now he desires to interrupt our nation aside,” one Kaptur advert says. “He isn’t simply radical, he is harmful!”
- Throughout his major marketing campaign, Majewski ran an advert saying: “I’m keen to do no matter it takes to return this nation again to its former glory. And if I’ve obtained to kick down doorways, nicely, that’s simply what patriots do.”
- Home Minority Chief Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) campaigned for Majewski final month, seeing his race as key to the get together’s efforts to win again the Home majority.
- Former President Trump did not endorse Majewski, however praised him at an Ohio rally earlier than the contested major.