Participation is down among the many 10 hottest girls and boys highschool sports activities in comparison with the final full pre-pandemic college 12 months, save for 2: boys golf and women volleyball.
By the numbers: The highest 10 for girls and boys is identical (albeit in a barely totally different order) because it was in 2018-19, the final time the Nationwide Federation of State Excessive Faculty Associations compiled its annual survey.
- Boys golf moved up one spot to No. 8, with practically 4% extra members (148,858) than it had three years in the past (143,200).
- Ladies volleyball stayed at No. 2, however its 0.3% enhance from 452,808 to 454,153 practically vaulted it above out of doors monitor & discipline (456,697).
State of play: These will increase should not shock anybody who has been following the exploding reputation of each sports activities.
- The golf growth is nicely documented, because the socially-distant sport was among the many first to return after 2020’s preliminary lockdown. The momentum continued in 2021, with extra rounds performed than any prior 12 months in U.S. historical past.
- Volleyball has been on the rise for years, to the purpose that extra individuals watched final 12 months’s NCAA ladies’s volleyball championship than the MLS Cup last two weeks earlier. In 2021, Athletes Limitless launched the one professional indoor ladies’s volleyball league within the U.S.
The massive image: General highschool sports activities participation declined 4% since 2018-19.
- Sure, however: “Given what has occurred in our nation the previous three years, we consider a decline of solely 4% … is fairly exceptional,” mentioned NFHS CEO Karissa Niehoff.