Youngsters are again in class. The air is crisper. And leaves are turning. The change can solely imply one factor — cyclo-cross meets Halloween.
What’s taking place: Fayetteville’s Centennial Park will once more host a Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) World Cup competitors, attracting a slate of worldwide athletes on Sunday, Oct. 16.
- Organizers added two days of actions earlier than the professionals compete, hoping to attract households and fans with novice races.
Why it issues: Internet hosting UCl-level occasions brings worldwide consideration to NWA as a biking vacation spot and will get mileage out of the $3.3 million Centennial Park, constructed exactly for this function.
- Sure, and: It is enjoyable as hell to look at.
Context: The World Cup is a qualifier occasion (assume Monday night time soccer) for the World Championship (assume Tremendous Bowl).
- This World Cup is the second in a collection of 14 competitions — one in every of solely two within the U.S. — main as much as the World Championship within the Netherlands in February 2023.
- Cyclo-cross is to not be confused with mountain bike racing, which was held right here in April.
By the numbers: The championship is what was held in Fayetteville final January. It drew greater than 17,000 spectators, together with an estimated 6,000 from Europe.
- That occasion spiked hotel-motel-restaurant tax collections to be the very best ever for the month of January in Fayetteville, a 144% improve over the earlier yr, Molly Rawn, CEO of Expertise Fayetteville emailed Axios.
- Between 650-700 amateurs are anticipated to race on Saturday, Oct. 15.
- It is too early to know what number of elite and junior ladies and men will compete on Sunday.
Particulars: Final yr, the competitors was held on a Wednesday — within the rain — however nonetheless drew a big crowd of devoted spectators. Organizers hope extra will end up for the weekend occasion and have added sights for youthful individuals, together with costumes and sweet. An entire schedule is offered, however for an concept of what to anticipate:
- Friday — UCI races start at 10am and run by means of the night. Youngsters will probably be inspired to trick-or-treat all through the expo.
- Saturday — Novice races start at 8am and run all day. Outrageous costumes are welcome for each spectators and rivals. Registration continues to be open.
- Sunday — Novice juniors begin at 8am and UCI racing begins at 9:15am.
What they’re saying: “I do not care if you happen to’re 2 or 102, we have a race for you,” Brannon Pack, director of biking tourism for Expertise Fayetteville, instructed Axios.